Thursday, January 3, 2013

Grandma Jeannie’s Split Pea Soup (recipe, meat)


Grandma Jeannie’s Split Pea Soup M Serves: 10
From the moment I put the spoon in my mouth, I was catapulted back to my childhood. This was truly the Split Pea Soup that I ate on many a Friday night over the course of my childhood. I still remember my Mother fully enjoying the bones and my brother and I chomping on the sliced hot dogs that were floating on top. I altered my Grandmother’s recipe a little and added meat to the soup as it was cooking; and then left out the hot dogs.  This is a very hearty, stick to your ribs soup that is perfect for a cold Winter’s night. Next time, I may add the hot dogs as well!
Ingredients
7-8 beef bones
1 pound chuck meat-cut into pieces about 1/3 inch thick and 1 inch long
1 pound dried split peas
2 medium onions-peeled and diced
3 leeks-white part only-quartered , rinsed well and sliced
2 parsnips-peeled, halved and sliced
4 long stalks celery-trimmed, washed, halved and sliced
2 large carrots-peeled, halved and sliced
1 small celery root- peeled and diced
2 teaspoons salt
1 small bunch flat leaf parsley
1 small bunch dill
Optional: 2-3 boiled hot dogs-cut into slices
Equipment
Large soup pot with cover
Directions
  1. Rinse bones. Place them in bottom of soup pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Remove bones and discard water. Return bones to pot. Add meat and split peas. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Skim the scum that rises to the top. Add all the remaining ingredients. Add more water to almost cover vegetables. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer about 3 hours or more until meat is falling apart. Serve hot.
To serve: Place a bone in the bottom of the soup bowl and ladle the soup over it. Scatter sliced hot dogs over the top if desired.
Note: The soup thickens over night. You might have to add one cup of water to it to bring it to the right consistency. Don’t thin it too much- this is a thick soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment