Turkish Meat Pie in Fillo Dough M Serves: 10The aroma that fills the house from baking this dish will have your guests rushing to the table. Make sure you present it whole so that everyone can appreciate your handiwork with the fillo dough!
Prep Time: 60 min. Baking time: 40-45 min.
Make two at a time and freeze one for another occasion. While you can freeze it baked, the texture of the fillo is better if you freeze it unbaked and bake it right before dinner.
Ingredients (for two meat pies)
4 tablespoons olive oil
6 garlic cloves-finely minced or crushed through garlic press
1 large onion-peeled and minced
6 tablespoons pine nuts (sunflower seeds if anyone is allergic to nuts)
2 pounds chopped meat (all beef or beef and veal)
5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 large bunch Italian parsley-stems removed, leaves chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound box fillo dough-thawed
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 ¼ cups non-dairy soy milk
Two 10 inch spring form pans
Medium mixing bowl
dish towel to cover fillo dough
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium high flame. Add onion to skillet. Stir well and cook until onions have softened and become translucent. Add garlic and nuts/seeds. Sauté until nuts/seeds have turned golden brown. Pinch off small pieces of chopped meat and add to skillet. Stir vigorously until meat has lost its color and is thoroughly mixed with onion and garlic. Add cinnamon, oregano and parsley. Stir well. Taste. Add pepper as needed. Cool until first pan is lined with fillo dough.
- Beat eggs, soy milk and vegetable oil together in mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to: 400 F.
- Unwrap fillo dough carefully. Keep it covered under a damp towel as you remove each sheet. The first layer of fillo requires four sheets. Take sheet number one and place it in the springform pan with half the sheet hanging over the side. Take sheet number two and place it opposite the first one in the same way. Place sheets number three and four on opposite sides of the pan. Repeat this process two more times so you will have built up a firm base. Pour a little of the egg mixture on the bottom and swish it around until the bottom has been moistened. Use the pastry brush or your hands to move it around if you need to. Take another four sheets of fillo and arrange them like you did the first time. Brush with egg mixture. Do this one more time and brush with egg mixture. Place last four sheets of fillo on top and leave it dry. Spoon in half the meat mixture and pat it down smoothly. Now- take each end of fillo and go around pulling it over and toward the middle. Brush each layer with egg mixture. When the top has been completely enclosed, brush it all over again with egg mixture.
- Repeat this whole process with second pie and either freeze it in pan- bake it and serve it- or cool it completely and freeze it.
- Place pie in oven and bake 40-45 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. You will have to let the pie cool a little before you push it through the ring of the pan and slide it off the bottom and on to a serving platter. It sinks quickly so don’t worry if it’s flat when you present it. The pie will still be beautiful. It is delicious hot or at room temperature.