INDIVIDUAL MINI MEAT LOAVES M YIELD: 18-20 MINI LOAVES
This is meat loaf dressed up enough to be served at an informal dinner party.
Prep time: 30 min. Forming loaves: 20 min. Baking loaves: 45-50 min.
2 large onions 2 large skillets
3 stalks celery 2 jelly roll pans
4 large cloves garlic electric food processor
4 large carrots cooking parchment
8 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup soy milk
1 cup catsup
1 ½ cups unflavored non dairy bread crumbs
4 pounds chopped steak-ground twice
- Preheat oven to: 350 F. Line jelly roll pans with parchment paper.
- Peel onions, carrots, and garlic. Mince vegetables in small quantities in food processor. Set aside.
- Heat four tablespoons vegetable oil over medium flame in each skillet. Put half the minced vegetables in each skillet and sauté until very soft. Cool slightly.
- Mix the pepper, cumin and nutmeg. Divide spices between both skillets and stir well with wooden spoon.
- Beat eggs lightly with catsup and soy milk. Pour some into each skillet and stir well. Add ¾ cup bread crumbs to each skillet and mix thoroughly.
- Break up chopped meat into small pieces and add two pounds to each skillet. Mix thoroughly.
- Gently form small loaves (with your hands) about four inches long and three inches high. Don’t pack the meat too tightly or the loaves will be heavy. Arrange loaves on prepared jelly roll pans and bake them 45-50 minutes. Serve mini meat loaves hot with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable. They are so moist, they don’t even need gravy.
Note: These mini loaves are very versatile. They also make a great lunch or picnic dish. For lunch: Allow the loaves to come to room temperature. Slice them and arrange slices attractively on a platter surrounding roasted vegetables or rice salad- or both. For a picnic: Put a couple of slices of meat loaf between two slices of fresh Italian bread with a thick slice of tomato and romaine lettuce. It’s wonderful.