Grilled Chicken, Peach & Onion Salad M Serves: 4
Even stovetop grilling brings out the sweetness of your ingredients. The combination of peaches, onions, and chicken arranged over a mixed salad makes a wonderful light summer dinner.
Prep time: 30-45 min.
4 chicken cutlets
½ cup vinaigrette
1 large head Romaine lettuce-washed and torn into bite size pieces
1 large radicchio- washed and torn into bite size pieces
1 seedless English cucumber
1 large red/yellow/orange pepper (not green)
1 large beefsteak tomato/1 box pear tomatoes
1 15 ounce can kernel corn-drained
1 large onion
3 ripe peaches
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Optional: Avocado, endive, pitted olives, shredded carrots, diced zucchini are all wonderful additions to the salad. Vegetarians can just replace the chicken with pareve chicken strips but still enjoy the grilled peaches and onions.
Small baking dish
Small mixing bowl
Large salad bowl
- Remove “fingers” from the cutlets and pull out the white sinews that run through them. Trim any membrane or fat that is on the cutlets. Rinse chicken and mix with vinaigrette in small mixing bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
- Peel onion, remove core and slice into ¼ inch slices. Set aside.
- Cut peaches in half. Remove pits and peel peaches. (You won’t have to soak peaches in hot water before peeling if the peaches are ripe.) Set aside.
- Place grill pan over high heat. Grill peaches a few minutes on each side or until dark grill marks appear. Set aside. Do not clean pan. Scatter sliced onion on grill pan. Sprinkle with one teaspoon olive oil and grill until slices are charred and soft. Turn them over several times (picking up any peach juices on the pan) so they grill on both sides. Set aside.
- Arrange chicken fingers on grill pan and grill about 4 minutes on each side until they are fully cooked. Set aside
- Preheat oven: 350 F.
- Arrange chicken cutlets on grill pan vertically so you will see the horizontal marks from the grill when they are done. Depending on the size of your grill, you may have to grill two at a time. The more chicken on the grill, the slower it will cook. Grill cutlets about 8-10 minutes on each side. If the cutlets are thick they will not be fully cooked. Place cutlets in preheated oven for an additional 10-15 minutes to finish cooking. Add cooked fingers to baking dish and cover with foil until ready to serve.
- Prepare salad in advance or while chicken is cooking. Place torn romaine, radicchio and drained corn into salad bowl. Rinse cucumber and cut off ends. Slice cucumber lengthwise and then slice each half again. Cut slices into ¼ inch pieces and add to salad. Rinse, seed, and dice pepper and add to salad. Rinse and core tomato (or rinse pear tomatoes). Slice into wedges and add to salad. Toss salad and divide between four dinner plates.
- Slice each cutlet on the bias into one inch pieces. Place chicken pieces on top of the salad maintaining the shape of the cutlet but leaving some space in between the slices. Add a chicken finger to each plate. Slice peach halves into three or four pieces and place them in between the chicken slices. Scatter the onions around the chicken and peaches. Your dinner salad is ready. Serve with oil and vinegar, salt and pepper on the side so each person can dress their own salad. Fresh fruit with or without a cookie is a great finale to this summer dinner.