Lemon Chicken and Vegetables M Serves: 4This is the perfect recipe for anyone who loves an intense lemon flavor. In this recipe, I’ve used the sauce over chicken, but you could also use it over tofu or a firm white fish like halibut. Use it as an appetizer or main course. Everyone will be begging for more.
Prep time: 45 min. Cooking time: 30 min.
4 chicken cutlets
2 tablespoons light soy sauce or tamari
¼ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon vodka
3 egg whites
1 cup + 1 tablespoon cornstarch
½-3/4 cup vegetable oil
½ cup vinegar
1 cup low salt chicken stock-fresh /boxed
2 tablespoons water
1 large lemon
2 large carrots
½ red pepper
1 cup crushed canned pineapple-drained
1 tablespoon pure lemon extract
4 cups cooked basmati rice
2 small mixing bowls
Shallow bowl for marinating chicken
- Mix soy sauce, sesame oil and vodka in small bowl.
- Trim and rinse chicken cutlets. Arrange them in a single layer in shallow bowl and pour marinade over them. Turn them over so that the marinade coats the cutlets and let them sit for 30 minutes.
- While cutlets are marinating: Peel and trim carrots. Cut them into small match stick size pieces. Set aside. Remove all seeds and core from pepper and cut into small match size pieces. Add to carrots. Rinse and trim scallions. Cut both green and white parts into 1/8 inch rounds. Add to other vegetables. Add pineapple to this mixture and set aside.
- Beat egg whites til frothy in mixing bowl. Pour one cup cornstarch into shallow bowl. Remove chicken cutlets from marinade (Discard marinade.), mix them with egg whites and dredge them in cornstarch. Shake off any excess cornstarch and set cutlets aside.
- Heat ½ inch of oil in skillet until it is very hot. Add cutlets and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels. Cut into one inch cross wise slices. Keep warm in 200 F. oven until sauce is ready and you are ready to serve.
- Grate lemon on large holes of grater /microplane and set aside. Juice lemon and remove pits.
- Place vinegar, sugar, remaining one tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with water, lemon rind and juice in saucepan. Stir well. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture thickens slightly. Add vegetables and pineapple to sauce.Stir well. Remove from heat. Add lemon extract. Taste. Add more extract one drop at a time if you want it more lemony. The taste will change depending on the size and taste of your fresh lemon.
- Spread cooked rice on a platter. Arrange chicken slices attractively over rice. Pour lemon-vegetable sauce over the top.#Serve hot.