This is the recipe that is on the Kosher Cookbook App-except for my replacing the margarine with vegetable oil. I also added about 1 cup of packaged shredded coconut to the crumbs. You can replace the crumbs with ground nuts or even matzah meal for Passover. This is a delicious recipe that is good hot or room temp.
Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Spinach and Mushrooms M Yield: 8
This chicken is moist and delicious hot and equally delicious when sliced and served cold.
Prep time: 20 min. Rolling + breading breasts: 20 min. Baking: 30-40 min.
8 chicken cutlets- flattened
20 ounces frozen chopped spinach
¼ pound fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion
1 large clove garlic
freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups cornflake crumbs/bread crumbs
Baking pan large enough to hold chicken rolls
- Defrost spinach (a microwave does this quickly). Squeeze water out of spinach. Set aside.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and wipe caps clean. Slice mushroom caps thinly. Halve the slices if they are large. Set aside.
- Mince onion and garlic together.
- Melt margarine in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent. Add spinach and sauté until any remaining liquid has evaporated. Add mushrooms and sauté until they just begin release their juices. Remove from heat. Stir sautéed vegetables well. Season with pepper to taste. Cool.
- Beat eggs in a dish large enough to roll chicken in. Pour crumbs into another dish.
- Rinse flattened cutlets. Take one breast at a time and lay it on work surface smooth side down. Place 3 tablespoons spinach-mushroom mixture and place it toward narrow end of cutlet. Roll chicken until spinach is covered. Dip roll first in crumbs, then in egg, and again in crumbs. Place in baking dish. Repeat this process with remaining cutlets. Refrigerate until you are ready to bake them.
- To bake: Dribble olive oil over cutlets. Place in 375 F oven and bake 30-40 minutes or until done. Slice one roll in half to be sure they are fully cooked. Serve hot or a room temperature.
- To serve as a luncheon dish: slice chicken rolls and arrange slices in concentric circles around a serving platter. Put rice or salad in the middle.