Chilled Fresh Tomato Soup P Serves: 8
This is a light refreshing soup with a little bite. The creamy texture and mellow flavor of chopped avocado are a wonderful addition to this seasonal treat.
Prep time: 30-45 min. Chilling time: several hours or overnight
¼ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup carrots-chopped (1-2 large carrots)
2 cups onions-chopped (2 medium onions)
1 tablespoon garlic-minced (2-3 large cloves)
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups vegetable broth
4 pounds ripe tomatoes-peeled, seeded, chopped
Optional-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 ripe Haas avocados-peeled & diced
Electric food processor
5 quart soup pot
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium flame. Add onions, carrots & garlic and sauté until vegetables are soft.
- Add vegetable broth and salt. Stir well and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stir well and simmer 5-10 minutes-just long enough for tomatoes to warm through and soften. Remove soup from heat and cool.
- Purée soup two-three cups at a time until very smooth. Chill several hours or overnight. Taste. Add cayenne if you like a little heat.
- To serve: Stir soup. Taste. Add more salt or pepper if needed. Ladle soup into individual soup bowls and garnish with five or six pieces of avocado in the center. Serve immediately.