CARROT GINGER SOUP P YIELD: 11 CUPS
Creamy with some texture! This delicious soup looks like a sunset in a bowl and brightens up any meal.
Prep time: 20 min. Simmering time: 35-45 min. Puréeing time: 15 min.
2 large onions (about 1½ pounds)
2 large cloves garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 pounds carrots
2 large white potatoes
10 cups pareve chicken/vegetable broth
½ cup sugar
3 inches fresh ginger-root
Optional: diced crystallized ginger, croutons
4 quart soup pot
Electric food processor
Grater, ginger grater
- Peel carrots and potatoes. Chop them coarsely by hand or in processor.
- Peel onions and garlic. Quarter onions. Mince together by hand or in processor.
- Peel ginger-root and grate.
- Heat oil in soup pot over low flame. Add garlic and onions and cook until soft-about five minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; then reduce to a simmer. Cover pot. Simmer 35-45 minutes. While soup is simmering, rinse out processor bowl.
- After 35 minutes (or when vegetables are soft but firm when pressed with back of wooden spoon), remove from heat. Cool slightly. Ladle soup about two cups at a time into processor. Process eight cups of soup until they are completely puréed. Pour into a large bowl. Pulse the remaining soup so that there are some small lumps left. Add to bowl. Stir well. Check completed soup for seasoning. Add sugar, salt or pepper to taste. Return soup to stock pot and reheat before serving. Garnish each bowl with diced ginger and /or croutons if desired.
- To freeze: Let soup cool completely before freezing. Flavors intensify in the freezer so you may want to dilute soup with more broth after defrosting and reheating it.