MUSHROOM AND BARLEY SOUP P SERVES: 8-10
This soup is brimming over with flavor oozing from loads of fresh vegetables and chopped dill.
Prep time: 30 min. Simmering time: 60 min.
1 large leek
1 large onion
1 small celery root
1 pound white potatoes
1 pound mushrooms
½ cup barley
3 ounces vegetable oil
8 cups fresh/boxed vegetable broth
3 bay leaves
6 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Salt and pepper to taste
12 cup soup pot with cover
- Halve leek lengthwise and wash carefully. Slice white and pale green parts. Set aside.
- Peel onion, parsnips and celery root. Dice vegetables and add to leeks.
- Peel carrots. Halve large ones lengthwise. Cut all carrots into ¼ inch slices. Add to other vegetables.
- Wipe, trim stems and slice mushrooms. Add to vegetables.
- Peel and dice potatoes. Set aside.
- Pour vegetable oil in soup pot. Heat over medium flame. Add vegetables and sauté until onions are translucent. Add potatoes, barley, stock, and bay leaves to the pot. Cover, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook one hour or until vegetables are very tender. Add dill. Taste. Add salt and pepper as needed. Serve hot.
Note: As with other soups made with grains, it is best to strain the broth from the solids when you make the soup a day in advance of serving it. If you choose not to do this, know that the barley will absorb much of the liquid and the soup will thicken. In this case, you can add more pareve vegetable broth or water to thin the soup until it reaches the desired consistency.