Whether you serve this for breakfast, lunch or afternoon tea, everyone will be asking for more. The combination of the sweet blueberries, lemon zest and lemon glaze is just perfect! Enjoy.-
BLUEBERRY LEMON LOAF P SERVES: 8-10
It’s not too tart and not too sweet- just a perfect end to any casual meal or the perfect start to any day.
Prep time: 15 min. Baking time: 45-60 min. Glazing: 5 min. Cooling: 30 min.
1 ½ cups + 1 tablespoon flour 9” x 5” x 3” loaf pan
¼ teaspoon salt electric mixer
1 teaspoon baking powder grater
6 tablespoons pareve margarine- softened baking rack
1 1/3 cups sugar cake tester
2 eggs long spatula
2 lemons: zest for cake, 3 tablespoons juice for glaze
½ cup water
1 ½ cups (almost 1 pint) fresh blueberries-washed and stemmed
non-dairy baking spray
- Preheat oven to: 325 F.
- Spray loaf pan and set aside.
- Mix 1 ½ cups flour with baking powder and salt in small bowl.
- Put margarine and one cup sugar in bowl of electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- Grate lemons directly into mixing bowl. Juice one or both lemons to produce three tablespoons of juice. Set aside for glaze.
6. Add dry ingredients alternately with water. Beat well after each addition. Remember to scrape batter down from the sides of the pan.
- Toss blueberries with remaining tablespoon flour. Fold them gently into cake batter. Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake 45 minutes to an hour or until cake tester when inserted comes out clean. The top should be golden brown. Place cake on baking rack and pierce it all over the top with cake tester.
- Put lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar has completely dissolved. Pour over top of cake. Cool 30 minutes in pan. Run a long spatula around the edges of cake and then invert onto rack. Cake can be eaten while still warm or when completely cooled. You will have neater slices if the cake has thoroughly cooled.