Chilled and creamy, this soup is a wonderful starter for any Summer dairy meal. You can play around with the proportions of cream and milk to make it as rich or light as you wish.
CREAM OF CUCUMBER SOUP D SERVES: 8
It’s cold, creamy, delicious and fattening! Diet tomorrow.
Prep time; 30-40 min. Puréeing time: 15 min. Chilling time: several hours or overnight.
4 pounds Idaho potatoes 6 quart soup pot
7 cups of water electric food processor
2 ¾ pounds cucumbers
2 large white onions
2 ½ cups 1% milk
1 ½ cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons salt
1 large bunch dill
- Peel and chop potatoes coarsely. Put them into soup pot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil and cook potatoes until tender- about 10-15 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking- Peel, seed and cut two pounds of cucumbers into small chunks. Peel and chop onions. Rinse and chop dill.
- When potatoes are tender, reduce heat to a simmer and add cucumbers and onions. Cook ten minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Add chopped dill to pot. Stir well.
- Pour soup, two cups at a time, into food processor. Purée soup so that only occasional bits of cucumber and potato remain. Pour soup into a large bowl. Add milk and cream. Chill. Taste. Season soup with white pepper and salt.
- Peel, seed and dice remaining ¾ pound cucumber. Pour soup into individual bowl and garnish with a tablespoon of diced cucumber.