- 3 frozen pareve puff pastry sheets (1 ½ boxes)-thawed
- 20 ounces white mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- ¾ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flour + flour for dusting
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons pareve margarine
- 2 eggs beaten with 4 teaspoons water
- Clean mushrooms and chop finely. Peel onion, chop finely and add to mushrooms.
- Melt margarine in skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook until juices almost completely evaporate. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add lemon juice, 2 tablespoons flour and thyme. Stir well. Season with pepper to taste. Cool.
- Sprinkle flour over flat surface. Place 1 pastry sheet on surface and roll slightly- maintaining a rectangular shape.
- Spread 1/3 mushroom mixture over pastry sheet, leaving a ¼ inch border on all sides. Starting from one short side, roll three times towards the middle. Repeat with the other side. Press the two sides together. Wrap rolls in waxed paper and chill for at least one hour or overnight. (To freeze: wrap in waxed paper and then tin foil before freezing.)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove rolls from refrigerator. Slice rolls into ¼ inch slices. Place cut side down on paper one inch apart. Brush with egg glaze. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature.