SPICED APPLE PIE P SERVES: 10
Prep time: 20 minutes Baking time: 50 minutes
dough for double pie crust
3 pounds Granny Smith apples
½ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup + 1 teaspoon white sugar
grated rind from 1 small lemon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon each: mace,cloves, allspice
1. Line pie plate with half of the dough. Leave ½ inch overhang after trimming dough. Prick the bottom of crust with fork and chill until needed.
2. Peel, core and slice apples thinly. Place in a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients to apples and mix well.
3. Preheat oven to: 400.
4. Spoon apples into pie shell. Pour any remaining juice in bowl over apples.
5. Roll out remaining pie dough. Cover apples with dough. Bend bottom dough over top and squeeze them together attractively to form a seal. Make three slits in the top of pie. Brush pie with one teaspoon water. Sprinkle top of pie with remaining sugar.
6. Place pie on cookie sheet and bake on bottom level of oven for about 50 minutes or until juices begin to ooze out of the slits in the pastry top. Cool on rack. Serve pie warm or at room temperature.