Pumpkin Chiffon PieThis pie is especially delicious when made with fresh pumpkin and. better than anything you’ll get in a box!
- 1 9” baked pie shell
- 1 ½ cups pureed fresh pumpkin
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 eggs-separated
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup non-dairy creamer
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- optional: 3 additional egg whites
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- pinch cream of tartar
- Open package of gelatin and pour into cold water. Stir until all granules are moistened.
- Place yolks, sugar, and ¼ cup honey in the top of double boiler. Beat ingredients until thick. Add pumpkin, non-dairy milk, salt and spices to thickened mixture.
- Fill bottom of double boiler with water until it is half full. Bring water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and place top over water. Stir ingredients until mixture has thickened.
- Add gelatin and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat. Scrape mixture into glass bowl and chill until it begins to thicken (about 2-3 hours).
- Beat egg whites with remaining ¼ cup honey until peaks form.
- Fold beaten egg whites into pumpkin mixture. Scrape into cooked pie shell and chill. Serve chilled.
- Optional: Beat additional egg whites until frothy. Add pinch cream of tartar. Continue beating, adding sugar 2 teaspoons at a time until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue attractively over pumpkin pie. Place in 425 oven for about 8 minutes or until some of the meringue peaks have browned. Remove from oven and chill.