Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Making a List and Checking it Twice: Getting Ready for Rosh Hashana (Plus a menu for the first night)


It's hard to believe but Rosh Hashana is fast approaching. Despite the fact, we call it "late" this year, some advance planning makes the preparations easier. 

I like to start with a check list: 
1. invite guests 
2. make menu 
3. make separate lists for butcher, fish store, grocery store, green grocer, bakery (challah, desserts-if you don't make them yourself),  liquor store (you need a lot of kiddush wine for all the holidays-buying by the case usually saves you some money)
4. any  cleaning/wait staff you might need to help clean, cook, serve during the holiday season

I've got about 20 for Erev Rosh Hashana, 12 for second night of Rosh Hashana and 8-10 for each lunch. Shabbat might also be about 12 more people. Altogether, that's about 65 meals I have to organize and cook. As I've done this for 40 years, experience has taught me that whatever I can freeze in advance saves me at the end.
My Stuffed Cabbage is already in the freezer (and has been for a couple of weeks!) Chicken Soup is a traditional first course. When I have so many people, I often opt to serve a wedge of Cranshaw or Honeydew instead and save the soup for Shabbat dinner.  Breast of Chicken with White Wine, Grapes & Mushrooms freezes beautifully. I add the grapes after I defrost it. Kugels of any kind freeze well. I freeze the Chocolate Cake in layers and frost it on the day I'm serving it. So,on erev Rosh Hashana, I just have to set the table, prepare apples and honey, make vegetables and cut fruit unless I just serve berries.


Menu (with Vegetarian Equivalent in parentheses)                                                                                                          
Chicken Soup (Any vegetarian soup/melon)                                                                                                              
Breast of chicken with White wine, Mushrooms &; Grapes (Tofu with White Wine, Mushrooms &Grapes


Asparagus
 

Potato Kugel
 

Chocolate Cake with Mocha Icing

Fruit Salad


All recipes available on the app!

No comments:

Post a Comment